[Divunal-author] imaginary design

Christopher Armstrong radix@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:46:00 +0200

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:33:41AM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Well, Moshe caused me to spend a few minutes thinking about writing fiction,
> which I am constitutionally unable to separate from game design at this point
> in my life, and inspiration struck in the form of this fragment of a
> dramatization of a gameplay session:
>
>     http://zelda.twistedmatrix.com/hourglass.xhtml
>
> I hope to take this further, but I thought it might be an interesting read.
>
> I'd also be interested in this as a test of zero-story.  What do you think is
> going on in this story? :)

I really enjoyed this short introduction. It's kind of like
sci-fi/mystery, from what I gather, based on the "solve the problem"
style. Very IF-ish, anyway :)

So I strongly encourage you to continue it. It would be cool to develop
stories like this in parallel with the game world, although I wonder if
it would interfere with the zero-story philosophy of the game. From what
I can gather of your past descriptions of the idea, it was that the
story developed in the game, and this is story developed outside of the
game. I like it, and I doubt it's a bad thing, so I'm just playing
devil's advocate in order to refine the philosophy in my head :)