[Twisted-web] Nevow and python 3

Werner Thie werner at thieprojects.ch
Tue Jan 23 16:20:12 MST 2018

Aloha

On 01/23/2018 12:03 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I have a couple of projects building on nevow that I'd like to
> keep maintaining into the post-python2 world (and at least one of
> them contains a broader user base that I can't easily get to port
> templates and such), I've started porting nevow to python3.  What's
> on https://github.com/msdemlei/nevow runs essentially all the unit
> tests that weren't broken on python2 except for those related to
> livepages.
>
> I've not tried to port any python2 code to this now, though, since I
> find the current situation where lots of byte strings leak
> through from twisted.web quite unsatisfying.  I've tried to formulate
> something like a preliminary policy in
> https://github.com/msdemlei/nevow/blob/master/doc/strings_and_bytes.rst,
> but I'm deeply unhappy about most of this.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to fairly exclusively expose actual strings to
> nevow client code unless they actually deal with binary data (as in
> static.File, and of course request.write needs to be able to deal
> with this).  This will probably mean isolating client code from
> twisted.web.Requests a bit more.
>
> So:
>
> (1) Is anyone else still interested in this?
I'm very much interested in keeping Nevow alive, it's a the center of
quite a few
projects of mine.
> (2) Is anyone at all interested in the livepages stuff (I'm not, and
> dropping it would certainly make porting and maintaining the package
> a lot easier)?
Definitely, Livepage is my bread and butter, although a rework of the
Livepage part
  might be be beneficial, I just never found the time to do it and the
code just flawlessly
does what it advertises.
> (3) If I went ahead with this and actually tried to get a
> python3-nevow into Debian (which I'd really, really like to see): How
> is everyone's feeling about keeping the name nevow even if serious
> functional changes (such as dropping livepages) were to come about?
> [What I care about most is keeping the templating system including
> the render_ and data_ methods].
I have no association to the name but ripping Nevow apart and still name
it Nevow would be
at least misleading.

Mahalo, Werner