[Twisted-web] Twisted Web Agent configurable Elliptic Curves settings

Paul Tremberth paul.tremberth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:32:13 MDT 2017

Hello,

The other day, we had a Scrapy user report an issue connecting to
https://www.skelbiu.lt/ with OpenSSL 1.1 [1]

To not mix scrapy's things with Twisted Web, I used this (adapted from
official docs):

#---------------
from __future__ import print_function

from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.web.client import Agent
from twisted.web.http_headers import Headers

agent = Agent(reactor)

d = agent.request(
    'GET',
    'https://www.skelbiu.lt/',
    Headers({'User-Agent': ['Twisted Web Client Example']}),
    None)

def cbResponse(ignored):
    print('Response received')
d.addCallback(cbResponse)

def cbShutdown(ignored):
    print(ignored)
    reactor.stop()
d.addBoth(cbShutdown)

reactor.run()
#---------------

And I did get a Handshake failure too:

    $ python twistedtest.py
    [Failure instance: Traceback (failure with no frames): <class
'twisted.web._newclient.ResponseNeverReceived'>:
[<twisted.python.failure.Failure OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('SSL routines',
'ssl3_read_bytes', 'sslv3 alert handshake failure')]>]
    ]

It seems this happens (at least) with OpenSSL 1.1.0e (currently in Debian 9
sid [2])
It does not happen (for me) with OpenSSL 1.0.2g for example.

I dug into this this afternoon and narrowed it down to the use of
_defaultCurveName = u"prime256v1"
in twisted.internet._sslverify.py

I tried patching the current trunk with _defaultCurveName = u"secp384r1"
(the EC that ssllabs.com reports)
and it did work.

Looking at ClientHello messages for openssl 1.0.2 and 1.1 [4]:
with 1.1, only 1 Elliptic Curve is sent by Twisted Web Agent, secp256r1

openssl v1.1 client uses 4 by default: ecdh_x25519, secp256r1, secp521r1,
secp384r1

I was wondering what is the proper way to configure requested Elliptic
Curves.
I haven't seen any interface for this, contrary to ciphers with
acceptableCiphers.

Thank you for your input.

Best,
Paul.