[Twisted-web] Twisted 16.4.0 Prerelease 1 Announcement

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sat Aug 13 00:18:26 MDT 2016

In a rare Twisted release double feature right after 16.3.1, I bring you the first prerelease of Twisted 16.4.0.

This is a big release, the first after the Git migration has really kicked in! And so, here's what it brings us:

- twist, a new command line tool for running Twisted plugins, similar to twistd but with a simpler, cleaner interface.
- A new interface for Protocols, IHandshakeListener, which tells Twisted to tell the Protocol when the TLS handshake has been completed.
- async/await support for Deferreds, allowing you to write Python 3.5+ coroutines using Twisted
- Trial can be invoked with "python -m twisted.trial".
- 35+ more modules ported to Python 3, and many many cleanups on the way to Python 3 on Windows support.
- 240+ closed tickets overall.

For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).

As usual, it's available for download -- go here (https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/ <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/>) to get the prerelease tarballs and the full NEWS file. If you want to install it right away, run:

   pip install https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/Twisted-16.4.0rc1.tar.bz2 <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/Twisted-16.4.0rc1.tar.bz2>

Please let me know if you have any issues, as well as if you don't! If everything works well, that's a good thing for me to know :)

Twisted Regards,
Amber Brown (HawkOwl)