[Twisted-web] Twisted is removing Python 2.6 support

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 8 03:57:20 MDT 2015

On 09:42 am, hawkowl at atleastfornow.net wrote:

>>On 8 Jun 2015, at 17:27, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>
>>On 05:57 am, hawkowl at atleastfornow.net wrote:
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>As mentioned in http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-
>>>python/2015-March/029258.html , Twisted is removing Python 2.6
>>>support. As such, I would like to announce that 15.3 will be the last
>>>release with 2.6 support. After this release, the Python 2.6
>>>buildbots will be removed from the 'supported' list and most likely
>>>retired.
>>>
>>>This will remove all buildbot coverage of OS X and RHEL/CentOS. As
>>>I've been taking point on the buildbots recently, I'm going to be
>>>deploying a new CentOS 7 buildslave which will provide coverage of
>>>that platform. That just leaves OS X uncovered -- so if you would
>>>like to donate buildslaves for this, please send me an email.
>>
>>I think this is backwards.  There was basically no strong argument
>>made against dropping Python 2.6 support but there was no case made
>>for dropping OS X support.  I don't think you can remove the only OS X
>>builder from the supported list.  That's equivalent to saying OS X
>>support is being dropped.
>>
>>So either the existing OS X slaves need to be upgraded first (I don't
>>see why you wouldn't just do this) or Python 2.6 support (at least on
>>OS X) needs to be retained until someone else volunteers a Python 2.7
>>OS X slave.
>>
>>Jean-Paul

>Hi JP,
>
>I know that this would leave OS X uncovered -- lukasa, habnabit, and
>Adi have at separate points offered OS X builders of varying OS levels
>and even Python versions, both on the mailing list and in #twisted-dev
>(where Lukasa answered the call from this email and offered a Yosemite
>builder today), which is why I am confident that this will not end up
>being an issue when 15.3's first prerelease is issued.

I'd be even more confident if you don't disable the Python 2.6 OS X
builder until a new Python 2.7 OS X builder is set up.  If this turns
out to be easy, then nothing has been lost.  If it ends up being hard,
then it's much better than having a screwed up 15.3.
>I think the prevailing reason that we don't have an OS X 2.7 bot is
>that last time OS X hardware was offered, the buildbot was not being
>actively maintained. I've taken up the mantle in some capacity and
>getting Twisted supported on more platforms is my primary goal. And as
>an OS X user, I have some vested interest in it continuing being
>supported.

Once again, I'm not really clear on why the existing build slaves aren't
just being upgraded.  Why is new hardware required?

Jean-Paul