[Twisted-web] Web Server Bandwidth Tracking

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Sun Jun 7 22:17:59 MDT 2015

I want to release zopache.com as a web development platform, but I worry
that someone will overload the servers.

So I have to track bandwidth for each user account.

Traditionally this is done by creating log files and processing them,
but that seems exceedingly complex.  Much easier to just have a python
object for each user account, and track the amount of bandwidth used in
the last day, week and month.  Even for 50K users that cannot require
that much RAM.
Even if the web server goes down, and I loose the data, I do not care.
I just need to be emailed when limits are exceeded.

Is this a good idea, or should I be using log files?

For years i have been watching Twisted, but never really required it.
Maybe this is a good excuse to start using Twisted.   Currently I am
using NGinx.

Is there a library you would recommend to help me with this.  An hour
spent searching the web did not turn up anything.   It can't be that
hard to do.

What do you think?

Regards
Chris