[Twisted-web] Porting the features of nevow.guard to twisted.web.guard

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at me.com
Tue Jan 3 10:38:27 EST 2012

Hi Jean-Paul,

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 08:24:20 -0600, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On 27 May 2011, 06:47 pm, ldanielburr at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> Per a short chat with exarkun (thanks exarkun), I'm posting this to the
>> list for discussion.
>>
>> A project upon which I am working requires a twisted.web service that
>> allows a user to delegate authentication/authorization to a third
>> party,
>> e.g., Facebook, Twitter, et cetera.  In so doing, I've found myself
>> missing nevow.guard, since web.guard currently only has out-of-the-box
>> support for HTTP Auth.  I'd like to see web.guard expand to cover more
>> kinds of auth, such as form-based auth or the OAuth-based solutions
>> coming
>> from so many social graph sites.
>>
>> With this in mind, I asked exarkun about this, and he mentioned that
>> the
>> only thing he does not consider to be garbage in nevow.guard is the
>> feature-set, and that I should port the features to web, discarding the
>> baggage.
>>
>> I'd like to solicit the list for some guidance as to what those
>> features
>> are, or should be, and hopefully end up with a ticket describing the
>> features to be implemented, which I will then attempt to implement and
>> contribute to twisted.web.
>
> Hiya Daniel,
>
> This didn't generate as much discussion as I hoped. :)  However, I think
> you went ahead and started a project - txsomethingsomething?  How is
> that working out?
>
> Jean-Paul

There is a project, https://github.com/minskmaz/txWebAuth, to which I
contributed a tiny amount of code.  Neither the main author nor myself
have done much to progress the work, but there is a rudimentary design in
place at least.  The only major difference between txWebAuth and guard is
some widening of the ICredentialFactory interface, which is necessary to
allow for form-based and OAuth flows.

Thanks,

Daniel