[Twisted-web] twisted.web questions

Allen Bierbaum abierbaum at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:17:29 EDT 2010

(repost of email earlier today on twisted mailing list.  suggested this may
be better place to discuss. sorry if you get this twice.)

We have a large client-server based application based on twisted.  The
application has grown to the point where we would like to add a REST-based
API to the server side to allow for interfacing with a wider variety of
client applications.  Over the weekend I started looking into twisted.web
and had a couple of basic questions:

1) Is there any method to stream a large request (ex: PUT or POST with file
upload) into the system or does the entire body have to be loaded into
memory as part of the request?

2) Has anyone used an existing URL Routing system (ex: Routes [1], Selector
[2]) and adapted it for use with Twisted?  (I know I could use the twisted
preferred method of parent child hierarchies, but our application has a
better fit with the route-based method used by Pylons, Django, Rails, etc)

3) Is there a document anywhere that describes all the environment variables
the user can get from the request and how to get to them?  (something like
the environ section of the WSGI PEP [3])

4) Are their any wrappers people have developed to make it a bit easier to
use deferreds (in particular inlinecallbacks) in the handlers for
twisted.web?  (I am considering just writing a wrapper myself that provides
an interface similar to google app engine webapp [4] but wanted to check
first so I don't reinvent something)

Thanks,
Allen

[1] http://routes.groovie.org/index.html