[Twisted-web] Limit the simultaneous twisted.web.client.downloadPage requests

Igor Katson descentspb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:20:49 EDT 2009

Hello!

I am a newbie in twisted, sorry if my question sounds awkward.

I have written a pretty simple recursive page downloader, which parses
an html, extracts all the needed links from it, and starts dowloading
them. The links are the videofiles, so they are pretty large. The
problem is, that the downloader works TOO FAST :) I want to set
something like the global bandwidth limit or the maximum limit of
concurrently downloading files.

I am using the twisted.web.client.downloadPage to download the files and
using the Deferred, that it returns.
I can't understand how to make it still return a Deferred, corresponding
to that file, but not start downloading right away, but instead start
downloading it on some kind of event (make a manger-like wrapper for
that function).

So I want the code to still look simple like this:

for link in links:
    d = downloadPage_limited(link, filename)

And the wrapper(function downloadPage_limited) will manage the amount of
concurrent downloads, and will still return the Deferred, which will be
returned by twisted.web.client.downloadPage.

Is my idea about a "wrapper" practical and what's the general way to
write it?
On which event is it better to decrement the counter of the amount
currently downloading files?

Hope it is clear enough.

Thanks in advance,
Igor Katson.