[Twisted-web] Connection lost in a non-clean fashion

Bill Oldroyd billoldroyd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:37:01 EST 2009

I have developed a web server based on twisted-web that acts as a gateway
between the SRU search protocol and the Z39.50 search protocol. ( Details at
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/ )

Each SRU search request opens a thread which performs a Z39.50 search on a
remote target and then returns the results which are converted into the SRU
response.

Sometimes the connection with the client issuing the SRU request is lost. In
a few cases this produces the message "Connection to the other side was lost
in a non-clean fashion: Connection lost. ". When several of these non-clean
connection losses occur the web server will become unresponsive and will not
respond to any new requests.

Can anyone help with how I should respond to these non-clean lost
connections ?. I can't find any documentation which helps me understand the
impact of this type of error. As the connection is lost there is no point in
returning any error response, but are there systems resources left allocated
which might be causing the server to become unresponsive.

Bill

--
Bill Oldroyd
Technical consultant for The European Library