[Twisted-web] some questions about twisted.web

Jack Moffitt jack at chesspark.com
Tue Apr 7 15:19:51 EDT 2009

> twistd(1) starts logging automatically, giving you a command line option to
> redirect the logs to a file.

Yes I know.  And it has lots of information in those logs that I care
nothing about, and no way to filter them without doing a lot of
subclassing.  I'm trying to make software users can use without
getting lots of noise in their face.

> Great, now the user has to edit a tac file just to configure the
> thing.
>
> tac files are standard Python files. twistd(1) is also a standard way to
> deploy Twisted applications. If you want the user just to run a file with
> Python, you will copy a lot of things that twistd(1) already does.

Standard python files are not good user interfaces.  Sorry.  I realize
I have to copy some stuff twistd does, but if my goal is to make
friendly software, then that's what I have to do.

>   I'd rather them be able to type "tape" and not have to worry
> about twistd -ny some.tac.
>
> $ echo "twistd -ny tape.tac" > tape; chmod +x ./tape; export PATH=.:$PATH

tac files are configuration files.  If I have to load configuration
files in the configuration file, isn't that defeating the point?  I
don't want the user to have to hand edit a tac file to change the
listening port or which urls to reverse proxy.  That's the whole
problem I'm trying to solve here in the first place.  twistd cannot
take arbitrary command line options, and the Twisted core guys have
told others that would e doing it wrong besides.

jack.