[Twisted-web] Having reactor run at the main thread make things harder for late adopters

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Wed Nov 5 10:59:04 EST 2008

On 01:05 pm, exarkun at divmod.com wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:41:44 +1100, Andrew Bennetts <andrew-
>twisted at puzzling.org> wrote:

>>It matters just because it makes it clear that yes,  1Cfrom
>>twisted.internet
>>import reactor 1D really does Just Work, all the time.
>
>Sure.  But even if it didn't, you'd be alright.
>
>Plus, parameterized reactor makes unit testing easier.

As with most things that make testing easier, parameterizing the reactor
makes a lot of other things easier too.  My long-term plan (very, very
long term) is to deprecate and remove the twisted.internet.reactor
import and eliminate the singleton.  However, that won't happen until
you can get the reactor from everywhere interesting that might need it.
See ticket http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3205 for more
information.