[Twisted-web] status of Twisted Web and Web 2

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Mar 6 09:33:24 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 03:20:03AM -0000, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> On 02:56 am, amcnabb at mcnabbs.org wrote:
>> That's not the most reassuring answer I could have expected. :)
>
> You should have said you wanted reassuring rather than accurate - that's
> not my default mode :).

Accurate is best, but sometimes it's nice when reassuring comes along,
too. :)

> Well, twisted.web, like I said, has been around for an aeon or two and I
> know it's been tested against a lot of things.  Apple uses web2 in its DAV
> calendar server, so I assume that's been tested against some non- browser
> clients.

That's helpful to know.

I know you agree, but it really would be nice to not have to pick
between the two.  There's this worry in the back of my mind that going
with web will force me to do a rewrite as soon as deprecated (whenever
that happens).

> Your patch might not get *accepted* but don't mistake that for a lack of
> *appreciation*.  :).  Our quality standards are very high these days and
> you can expect a lot of discussion and some push-back (a lot of push- back
> if you don't have unit tests) but we definitely appreciate every
> contribution.

Right.  But my point was that if a project is too quiet, your patch can
come on dead ears.  Getting rejected for quality reasons is productive.
Getting ignored is not.  I'm glad to hear that Twisted web/web2 isn't
that quiet (it's hard to tell from the web site).

> The worst thing about the current web confusion is that I think Twisted
> would be that much *more* powerful if projects like Django could build upon
> it; being the common lower-level of django, zope, cherrypy, turbogears, and
> whatever else, would draw a lot of interest for Twisted, and eliminate the
> need for the "don't use this piece of crap in a real deployment" webservers
> that many of those projects currently come with.

That would be cool, I admit.  Really cool.

I still personally get a bigger kick out of Twisted as an API than
Twisted as an application.  For example, I would be thrilled if I ever
saw a Twisted replacement for urllib2, with streaming and everything.
That would be really cool.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/