[Twisted-web] xml library in twisted

Michał Pasternak michal.dtz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:19:05 EST 2008

Dnia 2008-03-04, o godz. 19:47:17
Raj kumar <k_r_a_j_kumar at yahoo.co.in> napisał(a):

> Hi all,
> I'm dealing with xml files in a twisted application,
> can any one suggest me the best xml library in twisted?
> Previously i used  twisted.web.microdom and twisted.web.minidom but
> they don't have much of the functionalities.... Is there any other
> xml library in twisted which makes it easy with lot of options? I
> wanted to create a xml file like this...

Are you completly sure you need XML at all?

Allow me to cite http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html :

"""
XML is not the answer. It is not even the question. To paraphrase
Jamie Zawinski on regular expressions, "Some people, when confronted
with a problem, think "I know, I'll use XML." Now they have two
problems."

This is a different situation than in Java, because compared to Java
code, XML is agile and flexible. Compared to Python code, XML is a boat
anchor, a ball and chain. In Python, XML is something you use for
interoperability, not your core functionality, because you simply don't
need it for that. In Java, XML can be your savior because it lets you
implement domain-specific languages and increase the flexibility of
your application "without coding". In Java, avoiding coding is an
advantage because coding means recompiling. But in Python, more often
than not, code is easier to write than XML. And Python can process code
much, much faster than your code can process XML. (Not only that, but
you have to write the XML processing code, whereas Python itself is
already written for you.)

[...]

(The only exception to this is if your target audience really really
needs XML for some strange reason. Like, they refuse to learn Python
and will only pay you if you use XML, or if you plan to give them a
nice GUI for editing the XML, and the GUI in question is something that
somebody else wrote for editing XML and you get to use it for free.
There are also other, very rare, architectural reasons to need XML.
Trust me, they don't apply to your app. If in doubt, explain your use
case for XML to an experienced Python developer. Or, if you have a
thick skin and don't mind being laughed at, try explaining to a Lisp
programmer why your application needs XML!)
"""