[Twisted-web] rendering patterns with different data types

Federico Tomassini federicotom at yahoo.it
Mon Feb 4 13:05:07 EST 2008

Hi,

I have to understand how renderers, slots and patterns work.
I try to read examples and tutorials, but doubts remain: above all I'm
a newbye.

Suppose I have an item such that (values to be rendered are uppercased):

  <li>
   <input type="text" value="INPUT_VALUE"/>

   <select name="foo">
    <option>OPTION_VALUES</option>
   </select>

   <textarea name="bar">TEXT_VALUE</textarea>
  </li>

Now, this item has to be repeated N times. To do that, I have a python
list, each element such that:

 {
  'INPUT_VALUE: 'foo',
  'OPTION_VALUES': ['a', 'list', 'of', 'strings'],
  'TEXT_VALUE': "bar"
 }

ie a list of dicts.

It would be nice to use nevow:data="my_list", nevow:render="mapping"
and nevow:slots.
Maybe this is the wrong way, because I cannot find how. The questions:

 1- If with

     <textarea nome="bar">
      <nevow:slot name="TEXT_VALUE"/>
     </textarea>

    I can correctly fill the textarea, how can I correctly fill
    the INPUT_VALUE? It is inside the input tag options, not inside
    the input tag contents.

 2- What about the OPTION_VALUES? Is it possible to "subpattern" a
    pattern? If yes, how?

Finally, I'm wondering if this is the correct way to render such item or
if a better, more elegant, solution, exists.

thanks
br

- --
efphe
Today is Setting Orange, the 35th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174