[Twisted-web] Using Twisted with django

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Mar 12 08:38:03 CST 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:06:58 -0400, Ram Peters <rampeters at gmail.com> wrote:
>I want to handle reporting part of my app with Twisted and rest will
>be handled with Django.  I have Django setup on mod_python.  There is
>some mention of "I want a container for my WSGI application" in
>TwistedMatrix.  Does it mean twisted just handle the request and
>forward to some other framework?  Does TwistedMatrix support
>mod_python? Can I use twisted with django models and django templating
>system?

There is some experimental support for using Twisted as a WSGI container.
Zope is using it, with some success as far as I am aware.  If you use WSGI,
however, you lose pretty much all the Twisted request processing features.

It is pretty unlikely that Twisted will work inside mod_python, and there
wouldn't be any reason to use it there anyway, since you already have an
HTTP server.

I haven't used Django so I can't say whether or not it will work well in a
Twisted server.  If it performs blocking operations (for example, to talk
to a database), then it probably won't work very well.

Jean-Paul