[Twisted-web] simple guard question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 05:05:59 EDT 2007

> This is certainly a controversial idea, and one that is frequently
> criticised, often in this manner.  Although I don't *agree* with the
> criticism, I don't object to it ;).  Its design rationale should be
> better documented, and for that I apologize.

Grin.

There's no need to apologise - Twisted is a fantastic (free) system, and
better documented than a whole lot of APIs I've had the (mis)fortune to
use over the years.

> However, although you may want a "user object" that is different than
> the page -- and in that case the top-level page should probably wrap
> that object -- the term "avatar" has a specific meaning.  To be an
> avatar for HTTP, you must implement IResource.
>
> You can disagree about whether this is the most generally useful design,
> but it *is* the specific design to which the jargon term "avatar" refers
> in the context of cred.  Trying to re-define it so that it doesn't mean
> that makes an already confusing topic even more difficult to discuss.
> So please don't.

That was not my intention, and if you feel I've made a confusing
statement then I'm sorry - let it be purged from the internets!

By way of explanation regarding the basis of my thinking; the majority
of the large web-app work I've done to this point is on Zope. It of
course has the basic architecture of a tree of object instances. It
would be unusual (to the best of my, admittedly not encyclopedic,
knowledge) to spawn new instances of the entire page/object hierarchy
when a user logs in. Instead the object-publisher walks the same tree,
applying both zopes inbuilt permissions and making the user info
available to pages/code on the request object.

It's a model I like (along with a lot of other things about Zope, offset
by some things I despise) and will have to give some thought as to
whether to emulate or move away from.