[Twisted-web] web2.server: returning a deferred from IResource.render()

ibu ibu at radempa.de
Thu Apr 12 15:55:36 CDT 2007

You are right, I should not say that it is not working; I should say
it is not working as I expected, and my expectations regarding
deferreds may well be wrong, since I am new to them.

Anyway, here is a full example code, which (when run with
twistd -l - -noy ) does render the expected output line correctly.
Upon removing the comment the http client does not receive an answer
to the http request however.

I'd just like to know how I can correctly return a deferred from
render(), or to where render() returns.

Thx, ibu

---------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>

from twisted.web2 import server, http, resource, channel, http_headers
from twisted.internet import defer

class Handler:
    def __init__(self, request):
        self.request = request
    def err(self, e):
        print "---- errb", e
    def getResponse(self, result = None):
        rep = "The output which shall be transferred to the browser."
        res = http.Response( 200,
            {'content-type': http_headers.MimeType('text','plain')},
            rep)
        print "---- getResponse returning: ", res
        return res
    def getDeferredResponse(self):
        print "---- getDeferredResponse beginning"
        d = defer.Deferred()
        d.addCallback(self.getResponse)
        d.addErrback(self.err)
        print "---- getDeferredResponse returning: ", d
        return d

class Toplevel(resource.Resource):
    addSlash = True
    def render(self, r):
        h = Handler(r)
        deferredResponse = h.getDeferredResponse()
        #return deferredResponse
        deferredResponse.callback(None)
        return deferredResponse.result

site = server.Site(Toplevel())

from twisted.application import service, strports
application = service.Application("demoserver")
s = strports.service('tcp:8080', channel.HTTPFactory(site))
s.setServiceParent(application)