[Twisted-web] web2.client pipelining (was: Web2: What is to be Done)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Sep 14 17:03:57 CDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Scott Lamb wrote:
> Okay, cool. So is twisted.web.client (and its dependencies) not
> going to be included in this deprecation, or is there going to be a
> temporary regression in functionality? I have no strong opinion; an
> HTTP/1.0 client wasn't that useful to me to begin with.

twisted.web isn't deprecated, and won't be until web2 is an adequate
replacement.

> This could be a practical problem for me. I'm stuck using a
> protocol created by a wannabe standards body that has mandated (1)
> a non-idempotent sequence and (2) the client never closing the
> connection. (And no, this is not the first time they've
> contradicted an underlying standard...)

Can you assume the server doesn't close the connection on you except
on errors? If so, that should be okay.

I don't know which protocol you're talking about, but others like
this I've seen which assign significance to a long-lived HTTP
connection have also had the property that the connection doesn't get
closed out from under the client after approx 30s of inactivity, like
a normal HTTP server would.

James