[Twisted-web] Web2: What is to be Done

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Sep 13 08:15:15 CDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:21:16 -0400, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>Itamar and I have just created a few new tickets and the "Web2-Gold-Master"
>milestone for the ascension of web2 to the status of The Web Server For
>Twisted.  Obviously I'll also have to get in my car and cast the original
>twisted.web back into the volcano where I originally forged it, but I still
>visit my parents' house pretty regularly so I don't think that should be a
>problem.
>
>Details are here:
>
>    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2085
>
>Please read this description, and create / mark any tickets with the
>appropriate milestone if you believe they are a requirement for this
>objective.  We may not agree, but we'd appreciate community involvement.
>
>In particular, this is a favorite topic of discussion for pundits.  I have
>heard many times that our web server situation is why Twisted is not as
>popular as Linux, or Quake, or Ruby on Rails, or MVS, or BitchX, or whatever
>today's infrastructure flavor of the month is.  I've had to shrug and admit
>fault in the past, but now that there is a concrete list of tasks for you
>all to help out with, I sincerely hope that some of you will choose to do
>so.

Lest anyone misunderstand, please take note:  This does *not* mean that
twisted.web is unmaintained, obsolete, or deprecated.  You do not need
to drop all of your code in favor of a BaseHTTPServer re-write.  Bugs in
twisted.web will continue to be fixed, and if twisted.web2 is ever finished
it will provide a compatible API layer so that it can run your existing
twisted.web-based applications.

Jean-Paul