[Twisted-web] [Nevow] JavaScript code

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-twisted-web at mithrandi.za.net
Sat Jul 29 15:15:08 CDT 2006

* Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone <dialtone at divmod.com> [2006-07-29 18:24:02 +0200]:

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:00:55 +0200, Manlio Perillo
> <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >In the Nevow source distribution there are some JavaScript code but I
> >don't understand what files are actually used.
> >
> >As an example there is defer.js script, but there is also a deferred
> >support in MochiKit.
>
> I'm not the most entitled person to speak about those choices but MochiKit
> is currently only used for the Stan-like syntax inside Nevow.

It is? I believe usage of MochiKit.DOM for this purpose is "deprecated"
within Divmod itself, but there may be some isolated uses. The main
dependency blocking MochiKit's removal is the client-side JSON
serialization functionality.

> The reasons are various and mostly have to do with disagreement in some
> implementation choices. Basically MochiKit is currently just an
> implementation detail that nobody should rely on being kept there or
> updated (currently it's version 1.1).

Specifically, an Athena transport implementation detail.

> I'm unsure how much I agree with this choice because if from one hand it
> means that nevow fixes some problems with MochiKit APIs it also means that
> Nevow will have to maintain its own version of javascript library which is

These APIs do not overlap all that much; in many cases, Athena can
provide a far richer API for certain things than MochiKit could, simply
because of the Widget hierarchy. (eg. the nodeByAttribute Widget method)

> a problem by itself because, for example, the next MochiKit version will
> also provide a rich package for visual effects, also MochiKit works with
> all the main browsers while Nevow currently doesn't work with Opera and
> Safari (because of Safari) and I'm unsure about IE (although I think it
> works there).

If you want to use MochiKit in your own code, there's not too much
stopping you; currently, it is problematic to try and use a different
version of MochiKit to the one distributed with Nevow, but once this
dependency is completely phased out, that problem will no longer exist.

> anyway I'll let the others complete the answer because they know it better
> than me.

Basically, it's a mostly orthogonal issue.