[Twisted-web] documentation -- Techno Turkey's fifth adventure

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Sat Jul 29 11:13:25 CDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:44:10 -0400 (EDT), lloyd at paisite.com wrote:
>I'm running Debian Sarge. I use Apt-Get or, more usually, Synaptic, to
>load applications. I've loaded the following packages:
>
>Python2.3 version: 2.3.5-3sarge1
>Python2.3-nevow version: 0.3.0-1
>Python2.3-twisted version: 1.3.0-8
>Python2.3-zopeinterface version: 3.0.1-1
>
>The only upgrade packages I see when I search via Synaptic are:
>
>Python2.4 version 2.4.1-2
>Python2.4-zopeinterface version 3.0.1-1
>
>There are no Python2.4 nevow or twisted upgrades.
>
>When I go to the Twisted download page, all I see are tarballs.
>
>So...
>
>Do I need to go elsewhere to find upgrade files for Debian; e.g. deb
>packages?
>
>Or, do I need to use some other method such as tarballs to upgrade (if so,
>I'll need a LOT of guidance to put everything in the right place and
>properly configure it.)?
>
>Or, am I missing something else entirely?
>
>Once again I seem to bitten by the problem of doc writers assuming that
>turkeys like me know more than we do.

If you have subversion installed you can do the following:

- Install ZopeInterface 3.1:
$ wget http://www.zope.org/Products/ZopeInterface/3.1.0c1/ZopeInterface-3.1.0c1.tgz
$ tar xzvf ZopeInterface-3.1.0c1.tgz
$ cd ZopeInterface-3.1.0c1
$ python setup.py install

- Install Divmod (Which includes Combinator, Axiom, Mantissa, Epsilon, Nevow, Quotient and many others):
$ cd /usr/src/
$ mkdir Divmod
$ cd Divmod
$ svn co http://divmod.org/svn/Divmod/trunk

- Setup Combinator:
$ echo "`python /usr/src/Divmod/trunk/Combinator/envirnment.py`" >> ~/.bashrc
$ source ~/.bashrc

- Activate trunk branch for Divmod repository:
$ cd /usr/src/
$ chbranch Divmod trunk

- Activate trunk branch for Twisted repository
$ chbranch Twisted trunk svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/trunk

Reboot your shell

>From now on thanks (or not) to Combinator you'll install libraries in ~/.local/ it's possible to change this although I'm unsure you really want to, IMHO there should be a env var setting that allows for changing this directory, anyway this is not very important for this small installation tutorial.

This is the best setup for working with nevow and twisted and divmod. Updating any of the above packets only requires an svn up in the corresponding directory (Divmod/trunk for Nevow and Divmod related software, Twisted/trunk for Twisted Matrix).

In this tutorial /usr/src/ is considered the projects directory.

As for Debian Sarge... Well that's not really the best system for application development in Twisted since it only contains pretty old versions (for good or for bad reasons). Probably Debian unstable has the latest versions of all those but the best choice for a developer of Twisted is Ubuntu Dapper currently. Of course there's nothing you cannot do in a Debian system that you can do in an Ubuntu system, it's simply a matter of having to do more manual work rather than relying to apt (for example in my projects I use lighttpd and my current hosting provides me only with Ubuntu 5.10 which doesn't have lighttpd packaged and I had to compile it manually, not too bad if you know how to do it but not as comfortable as with Ubuntu Dapper).