[Twisted-web] Actual Useful Post

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:45:50 MST 2006

On 1/21/06, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> #2, something for the community to do
> What we need to do a stable release of Twisted is fixes for the few release-critical bugs, and then user-testing of the package.  Normally the release manager does this, but the more feedback we have, the surer we are that the package is ready to go, and the less that the release manager has to do.  You can help out by looking at the 'admin/subproject.txt' in Twisted.  Make a release using the technique described there, run the unit tests, use some applications, and verify that whatever code you've written using Twisted is still working.  Look over the SVN log for noteworthy changes and help write a NEWS file that summarizes them comprehensibly.

admin/subproject.txt is at least accurate, but certainly not very
descriptive. I'll try to write a proper document this weekend about
how releases get done.

> I am lead to believe that Chris Armstrong (our GLORIOUS release-manager, hallowed be his name for all time, amen) is going to be putting together a release this weekend.  I hope he will post a followup that includes more detailed instructions.  (Hint, hint.)

Hey Glyph, can I get a Twisted RM Holy Robe +2?

Anyway, as I said earlier, the thing that needs the most work that's
related to releases is web site and documentation stuff. API docs are
basically impossible to generate for mortals right now. I've heard
some people can get epydoc to work if they do crazy stuff, but it's
not worked for me in a long time. I'd be impressed if someone can get
API docs being generated on a regular basis. It'd be especially nice
if we can get the web site updated with these docs on a regular basis,
in both per-release and "in development" doc sections. Same goes for
the Developer Guide.

If anyone wants to help out with these (but *not* another web site
redesign, please), then I'd be glad to consult.

As for release procedure, as I said above I'll try to come up with
something a bit more comprehensive this weekend.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |