[Twisted-web] twisted.web2+Cheetah+FormKit

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Thu Jan 19 15:18:19 MST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:34:24PM -0500, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> You could also just take over maintenance of formless - if you like it, why
> stop using it?  It's not going to break just because *we* don't think it's
> the best idea any more.

That's a good point. However I got sick of the interfaces, and formless
(at least the first API) uses them extensively. They're the main source
of slowdown in nevow too. I know twisted.web2 uses some too...
So I prefer to get rid of nevow completely and I'm already feeling the
benefits of it (especially on the performance side, the bottleneck is
gone). There's no chance I'd be writing code with stan or tags or
whatever else, I want to get rid of all artificial complexities. They
may make life easier to you, but to me they just hurts me in the long
run, I couldn't even find a way to make nested tables.

> By the way, those are the things that this list is supposed to be
> discussing, not Cheetah and FormKit.  There is a WebWare list for that
> stuff.

This is the twisted-web list so I don't see why nevow can be discussed
and other equivalent technologies can't, especially if they work
substantially better.

> You may well have to rewrite your application yet again when the code
> changes.  There is also no guarantee that the web2 team won't just move to
> a new module, say, "w3b", and obsolete web2 because they discover a
> radically better abstraction for dealing with HTTP.  The whole point of not
> having a stable release is that they're preserving that kind of freedom
> until they're comfortable enough with the code to commit to it.

Thanks for the warnings, if things break totally to require a full
rewrite (like formless), I'll go back to twisted.web or cherrpy to avoid
wasting too much time. But if the API changes without requiring full
rewrites I've no problem at all to keep following, plus I think I can
provide a valuable service to the twisted.web2 developers keeping a site
with reasonable traffic online on twisted.web2 (only the last two weeks
about 1.5G of html+css was transferred on it, after excluding all search
engines and my traffic).