[Twisted-web] Re: [Nevow-commits] r3904 - server-side (fragment) nesting, and convenience descriptor generator

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Sat Jan 14 05:57:56 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:35:47PM -0500, glyph at divmod.com wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:58:24 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli <andrea at cpushare.com>
> wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:43:12PM -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>
> >><http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Epsilon/epsilon>
>
> >This lib totally depends on twisted, so IMHO it has to go in twisted SVN
> >repository. Otherwise why don't you move twisted.flow into divmod
> >repository?
>
> If twisted.flow had been written by Divmod, for Divmod projects, that's
> where it would be.  Since it was written by a Twisted developer, before

Note that this is a total nosense and it's probably the source of the
mess that is happening. I didn't quote it last night (I wanted to sleep
on it first ;), but this seems the source of the problems, and those
problems now extended to the point of infecting the nevow trunk.

> I am the CTO of Divmod (at least I think that's my title, I'm never
> quite
> sure).  I am also the leader of the Twisted project.  I try to keep
> those
> responsibilities as separated as I can, which is a big challenge.  You
> are
> the first person who has suggested that I should intentionally confuse
> them
> and subvert Twisted for Divmod's commercial gain.  ;-)

Here you say that you can't move twisted into divmod.org, but then you
say that whatever thing was written by divmod - like if it were divmod
creating twisted.flow -  then twisted.flow would go into divmod.org
instead of twistedmatrix.com.

So what, let's assume everybody did this with every project out there,
can you imagine the mess.

Think if IBM were to keep all their kernel drivers into ibm.com instead
of sending them upstream...

I tell you this beahaviour of yours above is a recipe for disaster, as a
CTO you should know this without me having to tell you. So please
realize the huge mistake and fix this. A successful product doesn't only
require good code, it also requires a perception of solidity, and a
dependency on a few bytes package won't give it. Note that many totally
dislike the mess of dependencies of projects like gnome too.

When you touch nevow trunk you must do it with twistedmatrix open source
mind, not with divmod mind.

The fix is to add this simple rule (that I thought was obvious) to your
divmod guidelines: the decision of where to put what, must not be in
function of who wrote it. It's a one line rule, it collides with your
claim at the top and I understand this sometime can go against your
commecial interest, but I think you've a bigger interest to defend that
is to leave twisted/nevow a community effort.

PS. Discussion at cpushare.com, of at cpushare.com, twisted.web at cpushare.com,
    Nevow at cpushare.com emails don't exist, I guess your mailer is
    getting confused, never mind, this is just for your info ;).