[Twisted-web] Re: [Nevow-commits] r3904 - server-side (fragment) nesting, and convenience descriptor generator

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Thu Jan 12 06:11:23 MST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:42:52PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > If anything, we should be removing modules from Nevow (appserver,
> > static, etc), not adding more.
>
> I disagree. I think even forms must be included in nevow repository.
> What is the point of saving a few kbytes on disk when forms totally
> depends on nevow? I've 250G harddisks these days.

Simplifying the project. Anyway I think you are talking on 2 different levels.
static and appserver (and others like formless IMHO) should be removed for one
of the following 2 reasons:
1) No more maintained or supported (formless, although useful and different
from forms it's currently unmaintained and should be rewritten on top of
forms instead of the current library, this is just an example anyway).
2) Doesn't belong to Nevow. static, appserver, guard and others should be
provided by the web server instead of by Nevow. It wouldn't be bad if Nevow
only provided some default Resource subclasses (athena.LivePage and
rend.Page) and a rendering engine with the forms package.
Of course this is all IMHO.

Looking into the future Nevow will be ported on web2 (strategy to be defined
yet) and will drop guard, static and appserver at once for sure. IMHO we could
also deprecate formless waiting for it to be ported over forms. The current
formless API is already similar to forms and far from what it was in the old
days.

We could start a discussion on this of course.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now Running MacOSX 10.4