[Twisted-web] [Nevow] template performance

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Dec 15 09:34:07 CST 2006

L. Daniel Burr ha scritto:
> [...]
> Re-writing rend,Page and flat to improve execution speed would most
> certainly be considered optimization.

Ok, lets consider it an optimization.

> Note that I am confident that we'd all like Nevow to be faster, but
> optimization requires a lot more than just a cursory analysis.  I
> get the impression from reading your post that you think your
> request is simple/trivial, and perhaps it seems that way, but there
> is a lot more to this.

My first question was:
"Is it possible to use that same model used by django.template?"

I have posted my test results only later.

> What you have done, so far, is to measure raw serialization speed,
> and in so doing, you've found that Django is faster.  That part
> is fine, but the conclusion you've drawn is questionable.  Do you
> know if the difference in speed actually makes any difference in
> a real web application?  I'll bet that other factors, such as
> database access and network latency generally account for the
> majority of time that it takes for a request to be serviced.

The first test I have done was to compare the two web servers (Nevow +
Twisted Web and Django + Lighttpd), obtaining the random data from a
database.

Again, Nevow was much slower than Django.

> Please understand, I am not trying to offend you or tell you that
> Nevow doesn't need improving; everyone agrees that it could be a
> lot better.  I am just trying to point out that your observations
> regarding serialization speed have not been made in a context that
> demonstrates a serious need to rewrite rend.Page and flat.flatten.

I ask again: Nevow uses a lot of object adaptation.
Is this really necessary?

Regards  Manlio Perillo