[Twisted-web] [Nevow] about new guard in sandbox

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Tue Aug 1 19:19:06 CDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:05:15 +0200, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>And what's the problem?
>Hopefully you are not going to reboot the server every week, and users
>can always relogin.

I as a user _HATE_ when I lose my session just because the developers rebooted the application. I even hate when the browser loses the session between restarts. You might also be browsing the website when suddenly you are logged out because of a restart.

>Ok, but this means that *every* current application should be rewritten...

There are more than a couple examples that are not inside the *every* keyword. Anyway yes. If you want to update nevow on those installations to use web2 you'll have to rewrite part of the application. This should sound
as a "You should start coding the right way immediately before having a big codebase".

>Ok, but you pass a session to the loggedIn method.
>So you can do (if I'm not wrong):
>
>def loggedIn(self, session, request):
>
>    if request.args.get('rememberMe'):
>        session.guard.makePersistentCookie(session, request,
>max_age=self.sessionPersistentLifetime)
>        self.makePersistentSession(session)

You have dropped the rest of the explanation that is quite important.

>Of course there will be no cred integration ;-).

Well.. Then I'm not interested. Your solution is going to be nevow specific and thus unusable for my usecases.

>I don't want (still) to use guard because there are a lot of things that
>I do not understand.

Why are you using Nevow or Twisted at all then? Even _I_ do not understand completely what Nevow does with the context in its internals... guard (even in its current shape) is much less complicated than the whole context business.

>Like support for multiple portals, setResourceForPortal and so.

This has nothing to do with guard. I suggest reading the cred tutorial from twisted.

>Every time I think I'm beginning to understand, it suffice to read some
>code (as Weever or Stiq) for understanding that I do not understand ;-).

Weever is pretty old now and has been replaced almost completely by Stiq. No-one should read Weever code.