[Twisted-web] Re: [Twisted-Python] When can I start using web2?

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Wed Oct 5 16:41:38 MDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:08:37PM -0400, James Y Knight wrote:
> The solution of course is still up in the air, but my view is that
> two things should happen:
> 1) There _must_ be compatibility with the nevow resource API, similar
> to the already existing compatibility with resources written for the
> web1 resource API.
> 2) Nevow should aim to divorce itself from the resource API, just
> concerning itself with the rendering process. This would entail
> creating a new class similar to rend.Page but without having its own
> locateChild/renderHTTP, that can then be added into the class for the
> resource model of your framework of choice. I'm not exactly sure how
> that would work, though.

Ok. If there are technical reasons to prefer the web2 api rather than
keeping the compatibility layer by default, that's ok.

I just want to remind that breaking APIs will just hurt the nevow
userbase. Not a big deal for me since my project is quite maintained and
I even need and use features I wrote myself that aren't in any SVN yet,
but think about other projects that you write once and you may not want
having to maintain much over time: breaking APIs will hurt them. So if
we modify nevow API we should break it once for all, and try not having
to break it again, to give the project more strength and more confidence
to its users.

Thanks.