[Twisted-web] Returning Deferred from coerce method in formless - patch

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Thu Jun 16 13:04:58 MDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 8:43 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Michal Pasternak wrote:
>
>> various reasons. You could validate an e-mail address using
>> queries to DNS servers, or you could validate login name

> Thanks for working to add this feature.

I got it to work, but I'm seeing some weirdness in several
situations. I guess they would be classified "regressions".

I seem to need this all of a sudden, so you are in luck. I will take
a look at fixing the weirdness I see and try to fix it, and commit it
to trunk soon.

> BTW, I'd also need "context" to be passed to the coerce method (as
> last
> argument), I had to write my own ProcessTypedContext to do that, and
> it'd be much nicer if the default formless process handler would pass
> the context to coerce too (though I believe it would break current
> apps,
> but it'd be a very visible breakage, no risk of silent malfunctions at
> runtime). Said that I also appreciate backwards compatibility ;)

It should be the first argument, for consistency. Also, to retain
backwards compatibility, we could rename the "coerce" method which
takes a context. Perhaps it could be named "convert".

> I need the context in order to reach the session with
> inevow.ISession(ctx) inside the coerce handler.

Indeed. formless was originally designed to be web-agnostic and be
usable outside of nevow, but in this case I think it's compelling
enough to allow it.

Donovan