[Twisted-web] Using Twisted Web for browser-based control

Drake Smith drakesmith at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 17 22:23:18 MST 2005

At 04:03 PM 12/17/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>* Drake Smith <drakesmith at adelphia.net> [2005-12-17 08:08:40 -0500]:
>
> > I use Twisted Web on an embedded Linux device to provide browser-based
> > configuration & control. The browser displays a bar graph of a parameter
> > that is quickly changing on the embedded device (peak audio level). In
> > order to provide a reasonable feedback to the user, the browser
> connects to
> > the Twisted Web CGI server once a second via XMLHTTPRequest to obtain an
> > updated bar graph level, then Twisted Web dutifully closes the connection.
> > Is there a way to achieve the same thing without opening & closing a
> > connection each time?
>
>Yes. The easiest way would be to use something like nevow.athena, which
>takes care of the XHR connection for you, allowing you to concentrate on
>the higher-level communication between browser and server.
>--
>mithrandi, i Ainil en-Balandor, a faer Ambar

Tristan, thank you for pointing out nevow.athena -- I did not know of it. I
did know
of livepage but I was hoping for something less involved. On the other
hand, the
ability to freely communicate back and forth between browser and server without
the need for a plug-in is so important that I'm willing to take the plunge
into nevow.

Kindly let me know if there is any documentation on athena other than the
athena.py and .js modules that reside in the nevow 0.6.0 release, otherwise
I will
find my way through the source and Twisted-web archives.