[Twisted-web] Nevow PageCache

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Tue Dec 13 16:48:00 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:43:02PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> I wanted to push into the tracker but I'm a bit confused on how to do
> that with trac, so I resend with the mailing list.
>
> This patch implements html caching at the page level with a optional max
> cache size per page and with optional timeout.
>
> Even when the timeout is very small, this makes sure that all blocked
> waiting clients gets the same copy of the html allowing the server to
> scale.
>
> This only works for dynamic data that is the same for all users, so it's
> good for the homepage etc...
>
> I use it online for months and I had no problems at all.

This patch is indeed robust and works as expected. But page caching in this
way should not be done at Nevow level because it's slower than it could be.

Unfortunately Nevow overrides part of twisted.web request API and thus makes
this distinction a bit blurry.
The right strategy would be to write something similar for twisted.web2 using
filters maybe. This would make the implementation significantly easier to
maintain and probably shorter.

Nevow would be the place of fragment caches (for which there is an already
implemented API as you may recall).

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now Running MacOSX 10.4