[Twisted-web] LivePage and Safari

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Thu Dec 1 21:53:01 MST 2005

Beau Hartshorne wrote:
> When I loaded up the Chatola demo, I noticed that Safari (2.0.2) was
> still "loading" the page. I sat there waiting for a few seconds  before
> I realized that it would never stop because of the way the  LivePage
> works. (Yes, I'm brand-new.) The first time, I clicked on  Stop and of
> course nothing worked.
>
> To work around the problem, I included the LivePage code in the  <head>,
> and added an onload handler to <body> to call connect(0).  This didn't
> fix it, so I changed it to setTimeout('connect()', 1).  That worked,
> Safari no longer tells the user that it's waiting for  the page to load.

Thanks a lot for figuring this out. This has been an annoyance on
JotSpot Live, and I'm happy to have a solution. I'd suggest:

setTimeout(function(){connect()}, 1)

as a slightly nicer way to phrase that. I'm testing this locally and it
looks good - I'll be deploying it on JotSpot Live soon unless I run into
any problems.

Abe