[Twisted-web] web2 vs. access.log

Tommi Virtanen tv at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Apr 15 02:51:09 MDT 2005

Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to hack vhost-specific access.log
> (.../vhost/canonicalhostnamehere.log) support into
> nevow, and while doing that, ran into web2's logging
> features -- I don't want to do things totally differently
> from web2.

This is all pretty much done, in branches/tv/log.

> Also, how do you feel the date and time generation and parsing
> in t.w.http should be done? I need to be able to generate

This is still ugly. Currently, a log of the things have an
explicit .close() you need to call, or they leave a timer
running (also making trial complain).

Current starting the timer (incrementing the reference count)
is implicit in object creation; I'm currently thinking of making
it be an explicit operation. That would make it an unnecessary
detail for any code that runs while a NevowSite factory is running,
only leaving the start/stop in things that use timestamp/log
outside of a real webserver -- mostly unit tests, that is.