[Twisted-web] separate sites and server

Mary Gardiner mary-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Sep 13 04:55:46 MDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004, James Y Knight wrote:
> I have no experience with using distrib with Nevow -- it may or may not
> work. This issue of mostly compatible, but slightly different
> interfaces between twisted.web and Nevow is something that we hope to
> solve soon.

My experience as of about three months ago is that distrib does not work
with Nevow, although you can get it to fail in amusingly different ways.
It was something to do with flatten doing the wrong thing. This *may* be
only in combination with vhosts, but perhaps not.

I have been using twisted.web.proxy to do something similar, but it has
a few flaws:

 - it only works over TCP so your users will need to open a port

 - it doesn't set the right forward headers for Nevow, so all of Nevow's
   "what is my hostname?" stuff will return "localhost" (in particular,
   this is a problem with Nevow's static.File, which likes to add a
   trailing / to directories and will do this by redirecting to...
   localhost)

To overcome the second problem, I've ended up having to hard-code my
Nevow application's hostname pending a better proxy framework.

-Mary