[Twisted-web] separate sites and server

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Sep 10 13:16:33 MDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:34 PM, Bartek Bargiel wrote:
> Is there a way to create separate NevowSites and then
> 'register'/'unregister' them in a running Twisted application?
>
> My goal is to make possible to many users to run and restart their
> sites separately without stopping the whole system (all the apps).
> Note that virtual hosts mechanism is used to select the desired app.

Allowing users to run arbitrary python code in your main server is not
generally a good idea.

Generally the best way to do this is to have them run separate servers
under their user account and proxy requests from the main server to the
sub-servers. The t.web.distrib module is designed for this. On
twistedmatrix.com, the bugtracker is run this way:
<http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/roundup.twistd/>. All the
/users/*.twistd entries are connecting to another server process.

I have no experience with using distrib with Nevow -- it may or may not
work. This issue of mostly compatible, but slightly different
interfaces between twisted.web and Nevow is something that we hope to
solve soon.

James