[Twisted-web] Twisted vs Webware

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:40:57 MDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:55:31 -0700, Tom Fillmore
<tfillmor at socalbahai.org> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a couple on the drawing board - one will be a _very_ data intensive app for commercial real estate, while the other will be a front end to a text search engine for various types of text/writings, with PDF output, etc.  The commercial real estate app would sustain a fair level of hits (several hundred per hour to start I am imagining), the other significantly less.

I tested Nevow with ab (which, actually, is not the perfect tool for
the job) and I have been able to reach (with 2-3 long queries to a DB
in the same page, and by long I mean that there is a subquery
processed for every row in the outer select that counts the elements
(with COUNT(*)) with a fixed attribute on another table) over 7
clients/sec with no particular optimizations like query caching or
page caching, which corresponds to 142ms per page. With this speed you
can handle (with no efforts) 25200 hits per hour 7*60*60, which is
quite a fair number for 'serveral hundred' :). Of course, if you do
query result caching and you cache rendered pages for later use (with
a cache lifetime) you will get to much better speeds.

Just for the curious ones :): 25200 is also 18M hits/month (which is
quite good).
This was achieved with very low ram usage (nevow was 'capped' at
~15MB, the rest were the queries) and a 'modest' Athlon XP 2000+ with
2GB RAM under FreeBSD 5.3-rc1.

If what you need is just to serve static pages, then Twisted.web can
handle quite a big number of them.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running FreeBSD 5.3-beta6