[Twisted-web] Nevow: Authenticated site with "remember me" and vhosts

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:08:57 MST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:47:01 +0000, Matt Goodall <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

> One of the problems with guard is that there is no API exposed. It might
> be nice if guard remembered an IGuard interface for application code to
> use. What that would look like and how it would behave is something I
> have not considered.

Actually I think the current implementation is better since it's
completely unaware of what it is guarding, thus making it really
pluggable and easy to remove.

Probably, a good thing to do is to set as a component the current
avatarId in the session. So that from application code one could say:

ICurrentUser(inevow.IRequest(ctx)).name/login/some_other_stuff

and probably also provide some functionality to set some default
'rememberings' which I currently do with the RememberResourceWrapper

> My rewrite is *much* simpler. It's not as complete as nevow.guard
> although it does work and has the distinct advantage that it does not
> create a session until it's really needed.

indeed it's far better than current nevow and a lot easier to hack.

> Valentino (aka dialtone) recently started patching my version in an
> attempt to bring it inline with the real guard. He's even started
> calling it newguard ;-). I guess this is a case of "watch this space"

Ehe :), If can get things to work as I want, and get some help from
Tv, newguard should be ready soon. Right now it works fairly well and
it's backwards compatible with old guard.

And, as I wrote in the note inside guard.py, I'm willing to write some
support for database session storage, which will come in handy for my
next university project about distributed systems.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running FreeBSD 5.3-beta6