[Twisted-web] Writing a resource like PythonScript

Donnie Hale dhale at speakeasy.net
Fri Jul 16 23:15:55 MDT 2004

I'm trying to write a resource class like the
twisted.web.script.PythonScript class. As an example, I've got this in a
file named TestResource.py:

from twisted.web.resource import Resource

class TestScript(resource.Resource):
    isLeaf = 1

    def __init__(self, filename, registry):
        self.filename = filename
        self.registry = registry

    def render(self, request):
        request.setHeader("x-powered-by","Twisted/%s" % copyright.version)
        request.write("We've arrived in TestScript.render")
        request.finish()
        return server.NOT_DONE_YET

However, when I go to create a .tap file using the command:

mktap web --path=webroot --processor=".cht=TestResource.TestScript"
--port=8880

I get the error:

NameError: name 'resource' is not defined

Now I've seen that almost all (if not all) the examples of deriving from
Resource have a line like "resource = MyResource()", the PythonScript class
is conspicuous in that it doesn't have such a line, and in fact is in the
middle of a file with other Resource classes where trying to assign some
class instance to a variable named "resource" would be ambiguous. And in
fact I've grepped the source of the twisted.web directory structure and
can't find anyplace a PythonScript is explicitly instantiated. But I know it
works, as I've created a .epy file which does what I'd expect in a basic
web.tap application.

So my question is, how can I create a class like the PythonScript class,
which doesn't explicitly declare a "resource" variable, can get associated
with a file extension via the "mktap --processor" command, and then behaves
intuitively at runtime?

Many thanks,

Donnie

P.S. Somewhere in the docs there should be a comment that if you use the
--processor flag for mktap on windows, you need to surround the
"ext=processor" part of the parameters with double-quotes (see above). If
you don't do that, mktap will complain about the options not having the
right number of values to unpack. That took a while to figure out.