[Twisted-web] Web rewrite plan

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Sun Apr 25 03:39:35 MDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 17:26, Donovan Preston wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2004, at 3:34 AM, James Y Knight wrote:
>
> > Open question: does Nevow go into twisted/web/? If so, how do we
> > handle standalone (not depending on twisted at all) nevow? Perhaps
> > standalone nevow is just a branch of twisted/web/nevow/ with
> > appropriate modifications? If nevow isn't a package in twisted/web,
> > dirlist and failure can't go into twisted.web because they depend on
> > Nevow.
>
> Here is what I am thinking: Nevow should be a standalone package, but
> should also be included with twisted.web. I would prefer that  nevow
> *not* be included in the twisted. package, but be shipped with the
> twisted.web tarball.

I agree that Nevow should be a standalone framework but I'm not
convinced that bundling Nevow with t.web is good for either of them.

t.web (http protocol, request/resource interface, http client and http
server (including vhost, ditrib, rewrite, etc)) makes a great base for
web application frameworks, web services, web servers etc. Once the
current limitations have been addressed I doubt there will be a great
need for further releases other than bug fixing.

Nevow is an application framework. Its requirements are largely driven
by applications, much more so than t.web anyway. I suspect that Nevow
will need more frequest updates than t.web, i.e. even smarter form
processing, pluggable validation and general refactoring to support more
use cases. Many of these requirements will only become apparent as the
application are developed.

So to summarise ... I think a stable http+t.web and an evolving,
uber-cool Nevow, distributed separately, would be the ideal solution.

I do realise that there is some overlap between t.web and a useful,
standalone Nevow (app server, static, not found etc) and I haven't got
any great ideas about how to "solve" that issue.

Cheers, Matt

--
     __
    /  \__     Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
  __/  \__/    e: matt at pollenation.net
 /  \__/  \    t: +44 (0)113 2252500
 /  \          Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily
 \__/          reflect the views of my employer.