[Twisted-web] Packaging nevow standalone

Christopher Armstrong twisted-web@twistedmatrix.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:39:44 -0500

--------------enig4A5A52B6582DF19A9D4209D9

Donovan Preston wrote:
> One of the things I have been thinking about doing before doing a
> standalone distribution is removing the dependency on twisted. I have
> been contemplating using PyProtocols for the adaption machinery, and
> writing a simple CGI renderer to replace the ones that are twisted-web
> aware. However, while I want to pursue this goal eventually to ensure
> that nevow has as few dependency abstraction violations as possible, it
> probably won't happen right away, so I probably shouldn't do it for the
> first standalone release.

As I might have mumbled about before, I think it's wasted effort to
bother removing dependency on Twisted. You can still do a CGI interface
without getting rid of the Twisted dependency altogether, and if people
can install Nevow in their CGI environments, they can also install Twisted.

> Radix, what are your thoughts about timing?

DP and I talked about this on IRC. Basically, we need::

* Move regadapt into Twisted (twisted.python)
* Modify the Quotient release process such that it includes CVS HEAD of
   Nevow for every Quotient release.
* Put Nevow into its own CVS module

As soon as these can happen, Nevow can have a standalone release.

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/