[Twisted-Python] Twisted v21.2.0 breaks Crossbar.io

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 3 11:47:06 MST 2021

> On Mar 3, 2021, at 8:25 AM, Richard van der Hoff <richard at matrix.org> wrote:
>

> On 03/03/2021 08:07, Glyph wrote:
>>
>> If dependencies could start testing against Twisted trunk in some capacity, we could get notified close to when unintentionally breaking changes occur, and dependencies can let us know well before the release happens, and we can either revert or they can fix things if the error is on their end.  If initially, say, crossbar and matrix would like to work with us to set up some kind of repeatable pattern we can suggest to others, that would be great.
>
> I'll take this to the Synapse team to discuss further, but we could probably easily arrange for one of our CI runs to install Twisted trunk from git instead of pypi, which might be a good start.

This is specifically the approach I'd really rather not take :) and here's why:

You want to provide stability for you contributors so that if a problem is introduced, you don't halt development on that unrelated feature to diagnose the upstream issue.

You want to ensure that when users install your software, it works with everything that's currently released.

Ideally your CI configuration would be a timed job which builds against trunk and PR builds that build against a release, and then some process in place for reacting to regressions and filing a ticket upstream with us so we can work out what to do.

Easier said than done though, I know!  I wish we had something like this on Twisted for all of our dependencies, but we have had enough difficulty keeping our CI configuration current based on what cloud provider is falling over this month ;-).

-g