[Twisted-Python] Twisted v21.2.0 breaks Crossbar.io

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at crossbario.com
Tue Mar 2 19:29:41 MST 2021

Hi Craig,

thanks for your answer, tips and questions! much appreciated

Am 03.03.21 um 02:58 schrieb Craig Rodrigues:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM Tobias Oberstein
> <tobias.oberstein at gmail.com <mailto:tobias.oberstein at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     this fix broke our workaround for the bug now fixed;)
>

> I had to read that sentence a few times before I fully understood it,
> and my mind did a backflip. :)

I hope the grammar is fine (not a native speaker), but it seems to
express what I wanted to say .. and that has some recursive, mind
stretching aspect to it, yeah ;)

there are a couple of layers .. eg the specific problem is for sth where
Twisted itself defines an interface (zope-interface), but then fails to
implement it.

However, declaring a zope.interface without CI testing it is just
"documentation". best effort.

But that isn't the last layer: without declaring exactly all interfaces
formally in the first place, there will always be a gray area, where
users accidently rely on behavior-as-is, even when that behavior is a
bug. Then how to reconceile fixing the bug vs stability?

IOW: how can one declare "stability" if the object of that (the API)
isn't exhaustively and formally defined?

it took me 10min to figure out and fix the bug, but I am still thinking
about the "why" and the "should" .. and about Rust ;)

> Is there a quick and dirty way to run Crossbar's CI against a
> pre-release version of Twisted?

Actually, there was a time when we ran Twisted trunk as part of the CI.

Due to complexity managing our deps (~130), and CI run-time, we stopped
that .. well, not so good. I think this would have warned us early on.

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/blob/master/tox.ini

> For Buildbot (a project that I work with a lot), I just tweaked their CI
> like this to run against a branch of Twisted:
> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/5739
> When those tests failed, that helped give some info, and helped me
> isolate one thing to fix in Twisted before doing the release.
> Povilas Kanapickas and Pierre Tardy from the Buildbot project were very
> helpful with this.

That sounds pretty good! congrats.

Tobias Oberstein - phone +49 176 2375 2055 - tobias.oberstein at crossbario.com
Crossbar.io GmbH - Waldstrasse 18 - 91054 Erlangen
HRB 15870 - Amtsgericht Fuerth - Geschäftsfuehrer/CEO - Tobias Oberstein

https://crossbar.io
https://crossbario.com