[Twisted-Python] Developer docs should be updated on wiki when steps changed in code?

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Mar 1 06:30:49 MST 2021

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 18:09, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I can't quickly find the place where we agreed to this, but I think
> several years ago at this point we had a discussion about moving *all* these
> docs into the source tree.  (If they're on the wiki, there's no review
> process or even a place where updates can be staged for commentary before
> going live and becoming "official".)
>
> Until this is fully completed, what is the correct thing to do when there
> is a mismatch between docs on the wiki, and docs in the tree?
>

> Docs in the tree always win.
>
> I still refer to a lot of docs on the wiki, especially for process related
> things,
> so I think it would be nice if the wiki docs were kept up to date, until
> the day that
> they are fully deleted.
>

> Let's start deleting them now, and replacing them with links to the
> in-tree docs, rather than updating them.  They've been skewing out of date
> for a long time.  When I was looking for information about how to do a
> revert, I found wiki docs about linking to revisions in Subversion which
> didn't mention Github, which gives a flavor for how outdated some of this
> stuff is.
>
> Thomas, would you mind doing the honors for this document?  Links for
> process docs should probably be to
> https://docs.twistedmatrix.com/en/latest/ since, for process information
> (unlike API information), trunk should be authoritative, not the latest
> release.
>

> I don't know what wiki page we are talking about here. Any link would help.

I see this wiki page and it already has a redirection:
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcess

My suggestion is that next time a dev needs to update a wiki page,
she/he/they should consider moving that page to twisted/twisted repo
narrative docs and create a PR for that change.

>From this wiki page https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedDevelopment

I see that Security and Review Process are not yet migrated to
narrativedocs.

And I think that "Contributor Advancement Path" can be removed as we now
have an informal processes for giving write access to the repo.

Cheers
--
Adi Roiban