[Twisted-Python] Error using "python -m twisted.conch.stdio" command in command prompt

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 19 23:52:50 MDT 2021

> On Jul 18, 2021, at 11:39 PM, Melanie Molifie <mmolifie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> I'm new to twisted and would appreciate some beginner guidance.

Hi Melanie!  Welcome to the community. I hope we can get you set up better.

> I'm trying to use the "python -m twisted.conch.stdio" command in command prompt but it does not work and gives the following error:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>python -m twisted.conch C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.7_qbz5n2kfra8p0\python.exe: No module named twisted.conch.main; 'twisted.conch' is a package and cannot be directly executed

In this example you're doing `python -m twisted.conch`, not `python -m twisted.conch.stdio`, which will not work anywhere.
Unfortunately, the Conch standard-IO library (and therefore the conch terminal client, and twisted.conch.stdio) doesn't work on Windows and never has: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2157 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2157>.  However, you may be able to get it up and running with the Windows Subsystem for Linux, which I believe will present a Linux-like interface since as far as the application knows it's running on Linux: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about>
> I'm hoping that this will solve the rest of the error messages I'm having. I want to eventually be ably to run :

> <Deferred at 0xf5c5a8 waiting on Deferred at 0xf5cb90>
> <Deferred at 0xf5c5a8 current result: '2606:2800:220:6d:26bf:1447:1097:aa7'>

> <Deferred at 0xf5cd40 waiting on Deferred at 0xf5cea8>
> <Deferred at 0xf5cd40 current result: ([<RR name=twistedmatrix.com <http://twistedmatrix.com/> type=MX class=IN ttl=1s auth=False>], [], [])>
Is the goal here specifically to do this with Conch, or would doing it with Jupyter Notebook (using something like https://twitter.com/glyph/status/1417360623818575876 <https://twitter.com/glyph/status/1417360623818575876> which I found while researching a response to this email!) be sufficient?

Or, for that matter, could you just write a little program?  A sample Python script that runs the reactor is probably easier to set up than a reactor-enabled REPL, particularly on Windows.  (There are various options for a reactor-enabled REPL, it's definitely doable, but it might be a bit rough as a first step; as you're discovering.)

> The aim is to get the deferred responses as shown in previous code, but all I get is:

> <Deferred at 0x263d27b9dc8 waiting on Deferred at 0x263d27b9f48>
> <Deferred at 0x263d27b9dc8 waiting on Deferred at 0x263d27b9f48>
> <Deferred at 0x263d27c6a88 waiting on Deferred at 0x263d27c6c08>
> <Deferred at 0x263d27c6a88 waiting on Deferred at 0x263d27c6c08>
The reason you're getting this with a normal Python interactive interpreter is that the event loop which actually performs the I/O (does the DNS queries, in this case) isn't running at all, so the Deferreds are created, but never resolved.

> Please help. I'm trying to send this to the twisted mailing group. If I'm wrong please nudge me in the right direction.

This is as good a place as any :).