[Twisted-Python] Twisted 21.7.0 Pre-Release Announcement

Adi Roiban adiroiban at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 04:47:30 MDT 2021

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 20:27, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2021, at 2:20 AM, Richard van der Hoff <richard at matrix.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 16/07/2021 00:18, Glyph wrote:
>

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 9:00 AM, Richard van der Hoff <richard at matrix.org>
> wrote:
>
> We can't just go and add type annotations because we need to maintain
> compatibility with older Twisted (to make it possible to package in Debian
> et al).
>
> Any suggestions for keeping mypy happy?
>
> Are you saying you need it to typecheck against older versions or just run
> against them?
>
> Ah, this gave me the clue I needed. We just need to run against them.
> Which means I can put type hints in comments, where they will be ignored at
> runtime. It's fiddly, but it will work well enough.
>
> You can also do 'from __future__ import annotations' to avoid the
> annotations getting evaluated, which might be slightly less awkward.
>
> Thanks Glyph, and thanks to Adi and Barry for your suggestions too.
>
> One particular problem I came across was the type annotation on
> inlineCallbacks. I've filed https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10231
> about it - would appreciate thoughts.
>
> This definitely looks wrong; there should be a TypeVar in there.  Adi, I'd
> go so far as to say that this should be a release blocker, although the
> change should be fairly minimal.
>
> Richard, could you please make a proper PR for this to get CI kicked off
> and make sure the new annotation doesn't cause any failures?

I think that I will do a RC2 release candidate, since due to this issue the
GHA tests on RC1 are red - https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1628
So I plan to cherry-pick those changes and do a RC2.

Regarding  the release blocker, I will block the release for any ticket
from https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/26

Right now, I have added https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10231 to that
report.

So, if anyone knows how to fix https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10231
please help to unblock the release.

Or if you think that https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10231 should not
be a release blocker, please add your comments.

For now, I will delay the release of RC2 to wait to see what is the
resolution for #10231

Regards

--
Adi Roiban