[Twisted-Python] reactor for Linux io_uring

Ian Haywood ian at haywood.id.au
Thu Jan 7 04:24:51 MST 2021

On 6/01/2021 1:04 am, Adi Roiban wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 13:44, Jean-Paul Calderone
> <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:49 AM Barry Scott
>     <barry.scott at forcepoint.com <mailto:barry.scott at forcepoint.com>>
>     wrote:
>

>         What threads? Why do you call out file FDs different from
>         socket FDs?

If you give epoll()/select() a file FD it lies and says the FD is always
"ready" even when, as you point out, file operations can block.

> My suggestion is to find a real world / production use case for the
> new reactor so that we can run more than unit / functional tests.
>
> --
> Adi Roiban

As a "standard" reactor any twisted app would stress-test it for
network/pipe operations, no?

For async file I/O my plan would be to export a new IFilesystem (which
is closely based on conch.interfaces.ISFTPServer) apps would be have to
be written to use it, conch could with minimal tweaking,  and
unsurprisingly the SMB server will.

Apps can fallback to thread-based or aio(7) based implementations that
already  exists as PoC: https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1420

Ian