[Twisted-Python] Plan/Goal for GitHub Sponsors

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Sun Jan 3 16:50:04 MST 2021

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started a separate discussion to confirm the goal for a future
> fundraising.
>
> Top priority - Pay someone to help with the review queue
> Nice to have - Move server/services to Azure VM -  We have at least $100
> monthly allowance for Azure.... not sure if we still have the huge $2000
> allowance on rackspace.
> Nice to have - Migrate Trac wiki to GitHub Wiki

Adi,

I am glad that you are enthusiastic about the Twisted project,
but I just want to raise my voice that I disagree with most of what you
recommend as future actions.

I am skeptical about your recommendation when it comes to accepting
donations, spending
money, and hiring people, etc.   If these things are necessary, I would
like to see this as part of
a fully fleshed out plan that is approved by a proper governance structure.

Personally, I'm not convinced that getting more monetary donations and
hiring people will improve the Twisted project.  I could be wrong about
this,
but I need to be convinced.

In this thread:
https://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2020-December/065341.html
you raised some valid points about the project leadership committee.  I
would like to see the points in that
thread discussed to completion.
For starters, the people on the existing project leadership committee
should be given the chance
to respond, and hand the baton to the next project leadership committee.

The fact that details of the project committee are not written down in a
place which is available to the public
seems like something that we can fix, without involving discussions about
spending money and hiring people.

Once there is a proper governance structure in place for the Twisted
project,
I think that any discussions about spending money and hiring can be
discussed more easily.

--
Craig