[Twisted-Python] Plan/Goal for GitHub Sponsors

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jan 3 13:29:35 MST 2021

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 4:41 PM Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started a separate discussion to confirm the goal for a future
> fundraising.
>
> Top priority - Pay someone to help with the review queue
> Nice to have - Move server/services to Azure VM -  We have at least $100
> monthly allowance for Azure.... not sure if we still have the huge $2000
> allowance on rackspace.
> Nice to have - Migrate Trac wiki to GitHub Wiki
> Nice to have - Migrate Trac Ticket to GitHub Issues

I have a suggestion for another priority to be inserted above that top
priority - pay someone to look after the day-to-day logistics of the
project.  For example: to triage tickets in the issue tracker (identify
duplicates to avoid redundant effort, classify issues by feature request vs
defect vs regression, etc), keep track of the release process so releases
are completed in a timely manner, identify and eliminate friction in the
development process, and identify big-picture directions / priorities /
roadmap items and track and coordinate efforts to achieve them.  I don't
think someone could be hired to set the Twisted roadmap but someone could
be hired to solicit this information from core developers and the wider
community and organize it into a coherent plan.

Ideally this person could also look after fundraising efforts to ensure
that there are funds to continue to support their other activities.

Helping with the review queue is great but it's a purely reactive
activity.  This is fine so far as it goes but it leaves the project without
a coherent direction, which in turn makes less productive use of the
resources available.  The project should continue to operate reactively to
address issues raised by the community but to really stay relevant, the
core Twisted team itself also needs to identify coherent future goals and
work to achieve them.

Messing with CI configuration, wikis, issue tracking, etc, may also all be
beneficial but they're not useful goals in themselves - they should all be
in support of a goal like reducing operational overhead to allow resources
to be directed elsewhere or removing roadblocks that stand in the way of
other contributors having an impact.

Jean-Paul