[Twisted-Python] Moving iocpsupport to an external package? Implications on Windows?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Feb 10 17:46:14 MST 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 2:57 PM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 6:45 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:40 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>>
>> How will this patch change for people installing Twisted on Windows?
>>
>> Twisted is still used by a lot of users on Windows, and the IOCP Reactor is
>> still used on this platform.
>>

>> This line is what does the trick:
>>
>> https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1446/files#diff-fa602a8a75dc9dcc92261bac5f533c2a85e34fcceaff63b3a3a81d9acde2fc52R34
>>
>> Basically, on Windows, you'll automatically get the `twisted-iocpsupport` module as a hard dependency.  On other platforms, you won't.  Unless you're using a truly ancient `pip` (which is less likely on Windows, where people tend to install things themselves rather than getting them from a calcified platfom) this will just work magically
>>

>  Ok, thanks for the clarification.  That is worth calling out in the release announcement, since that is a major change for Windows users.
>

> I don't disagree that it's worth calling out, but I might quibble on "major" change - it's a small build-configuration change that mostly affects Twisted contributors (in a positive way), and those with heavily locked-down build environments.  From the perspective of a Twisted user on Windows who wants to make use of the IOCP reactor and is installing with a regular `pip install`, nothing changes except a new line in `pip freeze`.

I think that you are right, and everything will probably just work for
Windows users.

I'm just thinking from the perspective of a user of Twisted on
Windows, who may not be familiar with all the latest
innovations in pip, and may encounter a problem.  But I think that
these issues will be minor/few, and we can handle them post-release if
necessary.

> Yep! You can see in the README.rst on the repo, and also on its PyPI page: https://pypi.org/project/twisted-iocpsupport/

Thanks for the clarification.  One unfortunate thing with this move to
another repository is that
version history has been lost, going all the way back to 2008.  It's
not the end of the world, since anyone who really
wants that history can check out an earlier branch of twisted and look
at it, but it is still an extra hop for someone to do.

--
Craig